You’ve finally treated yourself to professional teeth whitening with Opalescence. And now, you’ve got the dazzling smile you’ve always wanted. But how can you keep that smile from dulling?
At SPA Dental Group, our team of providers knows the importance of a beautiful and healthy smile. That’s why we’ve created this guide to help you prolong the results of your whitening treatment.
Keep an eye out for common stainers
If you’re a coffee-lover, you probably already know coffee stains teeth. But it’s far from the only tooth-staining food. Here’s a list of some of the most common strainers:
- Red wine and (surprisingly) white wine
- Blueberries (and other dark berries)
- Tomato sauces
- Curry sauces
If you love a good arrabbiata or a refreshing iced tea, you don’t have to forgo your favorite foods. You can keep your teeth as white as possible by keeping these tips in mind:
- Brush your teeth after consuming the above-listed foods
- If you can’t brush your teeth, at least rinse your mouth with water after meals
- Use a straw to drink iced tea or iced coffee
- Drink your beverages in a timely manner (rather than slowly sipping all day long)
Up your brushing game
Brushing your teeth is part of any good oral care routine, but it’s also a key player when it comes to preventing stains. Brushing helps to remove any potential stain-causing food or debris. Not to mention, brushing also removes odor and decay-causing bacteria.
Keep your brushing routine in check with these tips:
- Brush at least twice a day (or ideally, after each meal)
- Floss once per day (this helps remove stain-causing debris from between your teeth)
You might also benefit from whitening mouthwash and whitening toothpaste. Just make sure you always use toothpaste marked with the American Dental Association (ADA) Seal of Approval.
Use touch-ups to your advantage
Although tooth whitening isn’t permanent, you can keep your results with touch-ups. Our team will discuss all your concerns, including how often you need touch-ups (which often depends on how dark your stains are and how often you eat stain-causing foods.)
Don’t skip your routine dental appointments
Routine dental cleanings are essential for your overall dental health, but they can also prolong your whitening results. During your appointment, we can:
- Assess how well your whitening schedule is working
- Offer suggestions to keep your teeth bright (such as using whitening toothpaste)
During your appointment, you’ll have plenty of time to ask questions about your whitening results. For example, you might notice some medications cause teeth staining. We’re happy to answer all your questions during your routine exam.
If you have questions about teeth whitening, book an appointment at SPA Dental Group today.